Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Poem: Winter Solace (2009.03.17)


Poem: Winter Solace

Went snow camping in Yosemite this pass weekend...out on the Glacier Pass Road. Had a little something stuck in my head from when I escaped the group in the early morning, before the sun had fully come up. I realized that I go to nature for solace, for the absence of others, so it was strange to have a big group (7) of people around. It was good, but I was definitely glad to have a little time to myself. Here is the poem and 2 pics:

________________________________________________________
Winter Solace:

In the shallow of silence
A breath threatens to unfold
The universe
Into perceivable depth
Eyes closed, Mouth and Lungs
Shut
I attempt to preserve
The simplicity of just this
Infinitely small moment
Between noises
In this winter solace

The world kneaded up
Into a ball of perceivables
And spread infinitely thin against
The cold morning air
In the way string theorist
Can only scribble madly about on paper
And still only dabble towards an understanding.

And then a breath
And the world shatters into depth
Preceded by a pileated woodpecker
Down bellow in the hollows that hold
The ghost forest.
The world stretches out further
Pulled to a new horizon by the
Grunts of a raven
And collapses once again to the
Snow laden trees around me
Where a Chickadee bleats out its winter call

The snow crumbles beneath my feet
A symphony of ice crystals
And I open my eyes trying to
Capture the audible world that
Was here and is now gone
Light being an unbreakable guide

In a wash of clouds
In their morning chore of washing
The firs and snow with new whites and grays
The world collapses out into the complexity
That I came to exit.




Clouds Rest and Half Dome from Dewey Pt.



El Cap in winter

No comments:

Post a Comment