Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Photos of Oakland (2008.03.10)

Since it was so nice out this weekend and I had some spare time, I nabbed the chance to wander around my city. Here is what I saw:

Friday night and Cafe Van Kleef is packed due to the crowds rummaging around downtown due to oaklandartmurmur. On the first friday of the month a bunch of galleries in downtown oakland stay openn late and it generates a lot of foot traffic.


A little ways down the street is the Uptown. A decent little place to catch shows.
Hard to miss the the giant glowing guitar.


And of course if your rummaging around late at night and want food...chinatown comes to mind. I present the Legendary Palace.



A light post on Franklin and 17th st. Extremely beautiful with the right lighting.





Behind the new catholic cathedral on the edge of Lake Merrit is a small set of tulip trees. The contrast of the pink on the blue buildings is amazing. I took pictures of an old chinese couple looking at the blosoms. We milled around each other but then when the older gentlemen (Eric Zhang) saw my camera, we carried on a very constrained but wanting conversation of how best to photograph the flowers. He showed me he had taken photos of me taking photos of the flowers, so I turned my camera over and showed him I had been doing the same of him. We laughed and then I took a photo of him and his wife and made arrangements for emailing him the image:






I wandered across a random orchid sale/contest at Lake Merritt, here is an award winner:


A seagull trying to figure out why there is a totem pole in Oakland. I'm wondering the same thing.



Yes, its a Pelican. The poor thing takes big swigs out of Lake Merritt. Its basically like having the sewer pipes wash right into his mouth.


Yashino Cherry Tree Blossoms - spring is definitely here.



if you want to see more photos from the weekend, you can go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment